Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Bible in 90 Days

It is amazing how many people who go to church have never read the entire Bible. Since my high school years I have been in churches where most everyone would say that the Bible is God's Word. To this day I firmly believe that that the Bible IS God's Word!! Period. End of story.

For my vacation I have undertaken the 90 day journey of reading the entire Bible. I am using June 1 as my starting date (even though I didn't begin until June 3). Today's reading will take me through Joshua 15.

The early part of Joshua clearly points out how fickle people are. People would cry out to Yahweh when things were going poorly. Yahweh would us a judge to deliver his people. And, with a short time the people would return to worshiping other gods. One would think that they would have learned their lesson. Not!!

Time and time again, God warned his people about worshipping other gods.

It is amazing how similar things are today! The "gods" that are worshipped today may not be made of gold, silver or wood. We worship at the feet of pleasure, individuality and self-centeredness. Other gods are toys, cars, $$$, free time, alcohol, drugs and sex.

People call out to God when things are bad. People "make deals" with God. Some of these people may even start attending a church.

It is my prayer that my closeness to Yahweh is constant--in good times and in bad.

No comments: