Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The first day...

Some things change. Some things stay the same.

My early morning ritual of going to The Oasis and doing my through the Bible in 90 days continued on this the first morning of my vacation. One cup of coffee down and one to go!

I suppose that it is fitting that today's reading covered the transition from David's reign to that of Solomon. The transfer of power took place while David was still living. In a sense, a "transfer" is beginning at Evergreen today. The voice mail on my cell phone has been changed to refer callers to the church office for things pertaining to Evergreen. Today I begin to screen calls--the wife, kids and family members will have their calls answered; all other calls (with a few exceptions) will go to voice mail to be dealt with as time allows. No visits to the hospital or nursing home. Other people will cover those bases. No sermons notes to work on today. No music to get ready for Sunday. No worship bulletin to be done on Thursday. The transition is beginning.

It feels really STRANGE. Today I will mow the lawn, re-pot peppers that are in the greenhouse and work in the dahlias.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Lance! You probably don't remember me from SJC but I did housesit for you guys once. Anyway - I am going through stuff and found some pictures of you guys from a trip we took to some Forest Service cabin. I'd like to send them to you. They're from your last year at SJ (93-94?) You can email me at carriejoywarrenAThotmailDOTcom